Organized Crime 10th Edition by Howard Abadinsky – Test Bank
Italian Organized Crime and the Albanian Connection
1. The southern Italians developed an ideal of:
d. all of these
ANS: D LO: 1 REF: 106
2. Members of the Mafia refer to the organization as _____________?
c. Cosa Nostra
d. Capo di Famiglia
ANS: C LO: 4 REF: 113
3. Which one of the following statements is false?
a. Mafia is a state of mind.
b. Mafia is a secret criminal organization.
c. The mafia originated in Sicily.
d. Mafia is a way of life.
ANS: B LO: 2 REF: 108 | 109
4. Every Mafioso demands what?
a. Extortion money
d. Blood money
ANS: B LO: 2 | 4 REF: 111
5. At the end of World War II, which group emerged?
a. The Outfit
b. The Firm
c. The Nuovo Mafia
d. The Mezzogiorno
ANS: C LO: 4 REF: 113 | 114 | 115
6. Which historical figure’s rise had important implications for the Mafia and Italian-American organized crime?
c. Pope John IX
ANS: D LO: 3 REF: 112
7. To which crimes did the Cosa Nostra resort to accumulate the capital necessary to be a player in the heroin and cocaine marketplaces?
a. Extortion and smuggling
b. Murder hits and money laundering
c. Robbery and kidnapping
d. Prostitution and gambling
ANS: C LO: 4 REF: 125
8. According to Barzini, which level of organization within the Mafia consists of a group of several families who come together to form a cosca?
a. The first level
b. The second level
c. The third level
d. The fourth level
ANS: B LO: 4 REF: 109
9. Which of the following has become a primary alternative to traditional Balkan smuggling routes through the former Yugoslavia?
a. The Mezzogiorno
b. The Puglia (Apulia) region at the heel of the Italian boot
ANS: C LO: 8 REF: 127