Nutrition And You 4th Edition By Blake – Test Bank
MULTIPLE CHOICE. Choose the one alternative that best completes the statement or answers the question.
- 1) Carbohydrate digestion begins in the
A) large intestine. B) small intestine. C) mouth.
- 2) The process of photosynthesis produces which of the following molecules?
A) triglycerides B) glucose Answer: B
- 3) The function of glycogen is to
A) create membrane structures in plants.
B) store energy in plants.
C) lower blood glucose levels when they rise after a meal. D) store glucose in humans and animals.
- 4) Which of the following substances is not a polysaccharide? A) glycogen B) fiber
5) Which of the following statements regarding the amount of carbohydrates you should consume daily is incorrect?
- A) The minimum amount of carbohydrates needed for the brain to function efficiently is 130 grams per day.
- B) In the United States, adult males and females consume more than the minimum DRI for carbohydrates.
- C) The AMDR for carbohydrates is 20 to 35 percent of your total daily calories.
- D) Eating the recommended daily servings for each food group in MyPyramid will ensure that you meet your minimum amount of carbohydrates.
- 6) Which of the following structures is the starchy part of a grain kernel? A) endosperm B) germ C) husk
- 7) Which of the following statements about enriched wheat bread is false?
A) It is missing the thiamin, niacin, and folate that are found in whole wheat bread.
B) It is missing phytochemicals that are found in whole wheat bread. C) It is made from the endosperm of the wheat kernel.
D) It is missing the fiber that is found in whole wheat bread.
- 8) Which part of the grain kernel contains vitamin E and heart-healthy fats? A) bran B) germ C) endosperm
- 9) To which of the following organs do monosaccharides go after absorption?
A) pancreas B) liver Answer: B
D) small intestine
- 10) People with a deficiency of the enzyme lactase cannot properly digest
A) fiber. B) milk sugar. C) starch. D) table sugar.
- 11) Which of the following statements about lactose intolerance is incorrect? A) Clinical signs include diarrhea.
B) Lactase pills can help prevent symptoms.
C) All dairy foods must be completely eliminated from the diet. D) Cheese is better tolerated than milk.
- 12) After the release of insulin, which of the following events will not occur? A) Excess glucose will be stored in your liver as starch.
B) Excess glucose will be stored in your liver as glycogen.
C) Excess glucose will be stored in your muscles as glycogen. D) Excess glucose will be stored in your fat cells as fat.
- 13) Which of the following statements regarding diabetes in children is true?
- A) Obesity is not a risk factor for diabetes in children.
- B) Type 1 is not the only type of diabetes seen in children.
- C) Children with diabetes have fewer medical complications from the disease because they are able to adapt
to the changes in glucose metabolism.
- D) The last few decades have shown a steady decrease of diabetes among those under the age of 20.