2022 HESI Maternity OB Exam Version 1 Test Questions & Answers (A+ grade)
2022 HESI Maternity OB Exam Version 1
Test Questions & Answers (A+ grade)
1. A primipara has delivered a stillborn fetus at 30 weeks gestation. To assist the parents with the grieving process, which intervention is most important for the nurse to implement?
- Provide an opportunity for the parents to hold their infant in privacy.
- Assist the couple in completing a request for an autopsy.
- Encourage the couple to seek family counseling within the next few weeks.
- Explain the possible causes of fetal demise.
2. What is the priority nursing assessment immediately following the birth of an infant with esophageal atresia and a tracheoesophageal (TE) fistula?
- Body temperature.
- Level of pain.
- Time of the first void.
- Number of vessels in the cord.
3. What is the most important assessment for the nurse to conduct following the administration of epidural anesthesia to a client who is at 40 weeks gestation?
- Maternal blood pressure.
- Level of pain sensation
- Station of presenting part.
- Variability of fetal heart rate.
- A 34-week primigravida woman with preeclampsia is receiving Lactated Ringer’s 500ml with magnesium sulfate 20 grams at the rate of 3g/hr. How many ml/hr should the nurse program the infusion pump? (Enter numeric value only.) 75ml/hr
- A 6-year-old with heart failure (HF) gained 2 pounds in the last 24 hours. Which intervention is more important for the nurse to implement?
a. Graph the daily weight for the past week.
- Decrease IV flow rate.
- Assess bilateral lung sounds.
- Restrict intake of oral fluids.
6. A mother of a 3-year-old boy has just given birth to a new baby girl. The little boy asks the nurse, “Why is my baby sister eating my mommy’s breast?” How should the nurse respond? (Select all that apply.)
- Explain that newborns get milk from their mothers in this way.
- Reassure the older brother that does not hurt his mother.
- Remind him that his mother breastfed him too.
- Suggest that the baby can also drink from a bottle.
- Clarify that breastfeeding is his mother’s choice.
7. The nurse is examining an infant for possible cryptorchidism. Which exam technique should be used?
- Place the infant in a side-lying position to facilitate the exam.
- Hold the penis and retract the foreskin gently.
- Cleanse the penis with an antiseptic-soaked pad.
- Place the infant in a warm room and use a calm approach.
8. The nurse is planning care for a client at 30 weeks gestation who is experiencing preterm labor. What maternal prescription is most important in preventing this fetus from developing respiratory syndrome?
- Betamethasone (Celestone) 12mg deep IM.
- Butorphanol 1mg IV push q2h PRN pain.
- Ampicillin 1g IV push q8h.
- Terbutaline (Brethine) 0.25mg subcutaneously q15 minutes x3.